In order to fish, locating the different beds of water your target prey may reside in, using the appropriate bait and hunting tool (Fishing Rod) to catch them, and using the materials/meats they provide to craft/use as food or sell for a profit. Please visit Legendary Fish page to see where to find and how to catch all the legendary fishes for the Stranger Mission and Trophy.
Items in RDR2
Bait in Red Dead Redemption 2 are Items that can be used to lure out animals, while Hunting or Fishing. Different bait items can be used to lure different animals, so having a full understanding of which to use for a particular scenario is important.
|ITEM||Info||Acquisition & Trading|
|Bread||good for smaller fish||EXAMPLE|
|Corn||good for smaller fish.||EXAMPLE|
|Cheese||good for smaller fish.||EXAMPLE|
|Worms||excellent for medium sized lake fish.||EXAMPLE|
|Crayfish||good for larger size fish in deeper parts of rivers and lakes.||EXAMPLE|
|Crickets||excellent for attracting medium-sized river fish.||EXAMPLE|
|River lure||attracts all small and medium size fish in rivers.||EXAMPLE|
|Lake lure||attracts larger lake dwelling fish.|
|Swamp lure||attracts swamp dwelling medium and large size fish|
|Special River lure||increases your chances of catching medium to large river fish.|
|Special Lake lure||increases your chances of catching medium to large lake fish.|
|Special Swamp lure||increases your chances of catching medium to large swap fish.|
Bait And Tackle Shops
The Bait And Tackle shop in Lagras sells everything you need for fishing, including live worms, crayfish, and all lure types.
Fish Types And What To Use To Catch Them
- Lake Sturgeon -- Lake lure
- Largemouth Bass -- Crayfish
- Steelhead Trout -- Worms
- Muskie -- Lake lure
- Sockeye Salmon -- river lure
- Bluegill -- Cheese
- Chain Pickerel -- Corn
- Redfin Pickerel -- Bread
- Rock Bass -- Cheese or other natural baits
- Smallmouth Bass -- Any type of natural bait
- Bullhead Catfish -- Cheese or corn
- Perch -- Bread
Fish Locations and Conditions
- Bluegill -- All lakes and rivers; most active during rain.
- Chain Pickerel -- Lakes, rivers, and swamps; most active in sunny weather.
- Redfin Pickerel -- Rivers in the south; most active on warm, sunny days.
- Rock Bass -- All clear water in the country; most active on sunny days.
- Smallmouth Bass -- Northern rivers; most active during rain.
- Bullhead Catfish -- Swamps; most active during rain.
- Perch -- Rivers and lakes across the country; most active during sunny weather.
- Lake Sturgeon -- Southern lakes and swamps; most active during overcast weather.
- Largemouth Bass -- All waters in the south; most active during rainy weather.
- Steelhead Trout -- Lakes, mostly in the south; most active during rainy weather.
- Muskie -- Northern lakes; most active during overcast days.
- Sockeye Salmon -- Rivers in the north; most active during overcast weather.